Working from home is exciting because it offers an opportunity for real comfort and efficiency, but if the office is too casual, or isn’t effectively separated from the home environment, peak productivity may be lost.
While comfort is essential in any office, an office that is too casual may be seriously impede the ability to get things done. You have to find a way to separate yourself from the rest of the goings-on in the home and to convey a sense of “off limits’ to all other normal and natural home sounds and interruptions.
Ask yourself these five questions:
1. What will you be doing in the space?
2. What type of work needs to be done?
3. Will external clients be visiting the space?
4. Will colleagues visit for collaborative work?
5. When will I be doing the bulk of my work?
The answers to these questions will begin to develop the program for your home office.